When using the right ingredients, smoothies should not cause chest pain. They might even help relieve symptoms when you are having chest pain.
Milkshakes are often high in fat and too sugary. You need to pay extra attention to choose the right components.
Smoothies vs. milkshakes – what is the difference?
People usually consider milkshakes and smoothies to be the same. However, they have a massive difference in terms of how they are prepared.
Milkshakes are dairy-based and are prepared using flavored syrups, ice cream, and fruits. Smoothies are made with fruits and add ingredients such as yogurt, milk, and seeds.
You can consume smoothies as a meal replacement because they are rich in nutrients. However, milkshakes cannot be consumed as a meal.
The reason a smoothie is called a smoothie is because of its consistency and smooth texture. It fills the stomach and can load you up with all the essential nutrients.
Why do smoothies and milkshakes cause chest pain?
There are a number of reasons why you might experience chest pain after drinking a smoothie or a milkshake. Some of these should be taken seriously, while others need simply lifestyle changes to manage.
These are the most common and important reasons:
- Cardiovascular problems: Researchers from the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say: just one high-fat meal sets the perfect stage for heart disease.
- Acid reflux: Foods with high-fat and/or high-sugar content are known to trigger acid reflux symptoms. Heartburn, which is a burning pain in the chest, is one of the most common reflux symptoms.
- Allergic reactions: Food allergies can also cause stomach and chest pain. Besides milk allergy and lactose intolerance, people can be allergic to certain fruits or vegetables added to their drinks.
- Too cold drinks: Drinking too cold liquids can cause chest pain even in perfectly healthy people. This is called “cold-induced spasm of esophageal muscle”.
- Drinking too fast: Just like consuming too cold drinks, drinking too fast can also cause painful contractions of the esophageal muscle (see esophageal spasms), which feels like chest pain.
Can smoothies or milkshakes make your stomach hurt?
If your smoothie has been causing your stomach to hurt, you should consider some of the ingredients that you have been using in the smoothie. Even though smoothies are concentrated in nutrients, they might cause a nasty stomachache quickly when there is no balance.
- Too much fruit in the smoothie can cause a concentration of fructose sugars which ferment in the small intestine and cause bloating and constipation. You can replace the fruits in your smoothie with stevia to prevent the smoothie from causing your stomach to hurt.
- The wrong choice of dairy product can also cause your stomach to ache if you are lactose intolerant.
- Ingredients that are high in sugar can cause your stomach to hurt.
Can milkshakes cause acid reflux?
When the milk component of the milkshake sits in the stomach for too long, it can trigger an excessive release of acids from the stomach lining and, as a result, lead to acid reflux.
Gulping the milkshake down can also be another reason for acid reflux. No matter what drink you choose, it would help to sip slowly to reduce acid reflux symptoms. This is an easy lifestyle modification and can reduce reflux episodes.
What smoothies and milkshakes are good for acid reflux?
When preparing your smoothie or milkshake, you should always ensure that you select the ingredients that are low in fat.
High-fat products are challenging to digest and will stay longer in the stomach. You can choose plant-based milk such as almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk for your smoothie if you cannot find a low-fat milk alternative.
The fruits that you include with your smoothie should also be low-acid such as watermelons and pears. Kales and spinach are another great addition to your smoothie and are known to be very nutritious.
Your choice of ingredients when preparing a smoothie or a milkshake will determine if you will experience the symptoms of acid reflux or not. When you choose soft and easy ingredients for your digestive system, you will reduce the chances of getting heartburn.
Some of our related articles:
- What vegetables can relieve acid reflux?
- What vegetables can trigger acid reflux?
- What fruits are good for acid reflux?
- What fruits to avoid with acid reflux?
- Can fruit juices cause chest pain after drinking?
- Can vegetable juices help heartburn?
What milkshakes are good for heartburn?
Bananas and peanut butter are some of the best ingredients for preparing a milkshake that is not only tasty but also safe for heartburn. All you need is your low-fat milk, peanut butter, and a banana.
Slice the banana and add it together with the milk and the peanut butter. Blend them until they are perfectly blended. The result is a milkshake that is good for heartburn and is not likely to trigger any heartburn symptoms.
These ingredients are not only low in fat; they are also easy to digest and will not take long in the stomach.
A marshmallow popcorn milkshake is also suitable for heartburn, and all you will need is mini marshmallows, popcorn, whole milk, salt, and vanilla ice cream. With these ingredients, you will have a milkshake low in fat and safe for your heartburn.
You can also prepare a low-fat milkshake from skim milk, fat-free, sugar-free instant pudding mix, cool whip, vanilla, and ice cubes. All the ingredients are low in fat and sugar levels and are thus suitable for preventing heartburn.
They are safe for you and will not trigger any of the signs associated with acid reflux or heartburn. Additionally, the ingredients are healthy and good for your body.